[CLUE-Tech] Open Office 1.1!

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 1 18:48:14 MDT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:58:49 -0600
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> Just downloaded it and fired it up on rhat 9.
>
> *Much* faster load time (1.0.2 was about 7-10 seconds; 1.1 was about 2.  The
> PDF export is pretty handy and seems to work well - I tried a medium document
> (25 pages) with images, graphs, tables.
>
> Cool new colorized icons which highlight when you mouse over.
>
> I'm also looking forward to the ability to record calc macros (was not in
> 1.0).
>
> Check it out:
> + http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.1.0/index.html#application

Yep, it loads even faster than the 1.1_beta versions.  I get about 5-6
seconds on first startup, 3 seconds on subsequent starts.  Obviously, my
machine is a bit slower than yours.

PDF export worked quite well in beta. Among the bloated behemoths in the linux
world, OO defintely wins the"most improved" award.  I especially love the
ability to do all my work on OO and export to a floppy with Word97 format for my
daughter to take to school.  My least favorite feature is the shenanigans you
need to number a document and not print page number on the first page
(brainlessly simple in MS Word).

Most spreadsheet operations are just like MS, but a few (I can't remember) don't
work the same and are counter-intuitive.

Most of the other stuff I don't use.

A big A+ for the OO team.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the