[CLUE-Tech] On the subject of OpenOffice...

greg at knaddison.com greg at knaddison.com
Thu Oct 2 23:48:46 MDT 2003

Quoting Collins Richey <erichey2 at comcast.net>:

> Another wonderful feature I forgot to mention.  When you get an email with
> .doc
> attachements, OO can open them with no problem.  And, of course, you can
> save
> docs in this format to send to those unfortunates who are "open-software-
> challenged."

OOo1.1 is much better than StarOffice5.2 and even better than OOo1.0 in this
regard, but it still isn't perfect.  I find that occasionally I have documents
(even simple ones) that won't import properly.

If it's a complex document with lots of formatting and images and such it's very
unlikely to work perfectly.

On the plus side, OOo is XML based which means that you can do things like store
the source of documents in CVS and get useful output from the "diff" command.

Greg