[CLUE-Tech] On the subject of OpenOffice...

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Oct 4 07:36:05 MDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 08:46, greg at knaddison.com wrote:

> While that would work, it ignores some of the major benefits of CVS.  C
> (Concurrent) VS can merge like text files, but not binary files and it can diff
> various versions of text files, but again not binary files.  You can just unzip
> the OOo files into a directory by the name of the document and then put that all
> into CVS as normal text files, not binaries.  Another user could then check out
> that folder, zip it, rename it, and open it with OOo.  I believe that the really
> important file within the zip is the content.xml file and the rest are just
> formatting.
>
> Ed's way works for binary files, but it bloats CVS (since it stores the entire
> file rather than just the "diff" between the files) and it loses merge and diff
> capabilities.

Yeah, Greg's right.  I didn't read the earlier post thoroughly.  I just
saw the binary-files-in-CVS and responded.

Anyway, If you have a choice of formats, you should always use the
textural one and avoid storing the binary data in CVS since (as Greg
pointed) it ruins most of the benefits of having CVS.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com