[CLUE-Tech] network issues

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Oct 13 12:07:52 MDT 2003

Casagrande, Steve wrote:
>>There HAS to be a security exploit for Red Hat 9 that Red Hat isn't
>>letting onto the public about yet... the reason I say this is that my
>>same linux box keeps getting hacked over and over and over again, not
>>matter what I do to stop it.  I only have 2 ports open to it, 80 and 53.
>

> Perhaps a rootkit has been installed previously, and your ps/netstat/etc
> were replaced with hacked versions?  Either reinstall or compare binary
> checksums with known (good) versions.
>
> Steve Casagrande

Yeah, I figured a root kit was installed, so this is my 4th complete
reinstall from scratch - and it happens again and again, even with a
completely fresh install and formatting of the drivers.  All I do is
copy over my named config files and my html code.  Then, after a few
days, I'm rooted again.  Very depressing.
--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com
                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com