[CLUE-Tech] RE: CLUE-Tech digest, Vol 1 #1214 - 6 msgs

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Oct 13 13:38:08 MDT 2003

Yeah, I used to build my own binaries for things like apache, etc....
however this got very old very fast when exploits were found so quickly.
   Also, to me this defeats the whole point of a distribution in the
first place - the ability to get updated packages when needed.  The
version I listed actually isn't the true 2.0.40 version that you're
thinking of, it's actually a Red Hat specific back port, where the
security fixes were put into the older version. I don't understand why
they do this, but that's how Red Hat works.

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-240.html

At first though, if you look, you're right, .40 is old... and I think
that's confusing for people to have RH do that, but it works for them I
guess.

--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com