[CLUE-Tech] Intel 852GM chipset graphics

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Mon Oct 13 22:25:03 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 20:41, Ed Behn wrote:
> Greetings-
>      A while ago there was some discussion on the list about getting
> XFree86 working on a laptop with Intel's 852GM graphics chipset (I think
> it was a 400SP).  I'm trying to configure a laptop with the same
> chipset.  I'm running Debian with kernel version 2.4.20.  I installed
> XFree86 version 4.3.0.  I got X to run with little difficulty, however
> the highest resolution I can get is 800x600.  I have also been unable to
> get DRI to run on the system.  I'm not sure if these two problems are
> related.  I want to get the system to run with 1024x768 with DRI enabled.
>      I would be interested in any info or advice that people can offer.
>   Particularly, what parameters should be included in the kernel config
> file, what other modules need to be installed, and do I need to send the
> kernel any boot parameters?  I've attached my XF86Config file.
>
>                                   Thanks for any help
>                                         -Ed Behn

The only kernel parameters I know of that relate to X is setting
CONFIG_MTRR to y if your CPU supports MTRR.

It looks like the config is correct.  The default depth should be
selecting 1024x768.  If you are starting X via startx or xdm/gdm/kdm,
you should have a .xsesssion-errors file if there is anything wrong.

You could try removing the 800x600 and 640x480 resolutions and see what
happens, but I won't guarantee what will happen if 1024x768 fails.  It
will probably simply abort.  Do you have enough video memory to run that
resolution at 24bpp?

If your chip can support DRI, it should be included by default in X.
Look in /var/log/XFree86.0.log and look for Direct Rendering enabled.