[CLUE-Tech] Activity monitoring

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Oct 15 15:10:22 MDT 2003

Russell Glissmann wrote:

> Well, at this particular client, there is not supposed to be any
> Internet access, but due to some really fubar'd setups anyone can have
> it, if they know how.  So I need to know who is accessing the Internet,
> and what they are doing while on the Internet.
> BTW There is a Linux box on site currently being used as a file server.
> The network is switched, rather than hubs, so that may also affect what
> data can be retrieved.

It sounds like you want a firewall more than a proxy.  Yes, Squid will
monitor (i.e., block or allow access and log who tried what in either
case).  I'm not sure how complex this setup in Squid is, and it may well
depend on your environment.

It sounds like you have enough complexity that a well thought out
architecture would simplify things considerably.  It also sounds like
you're doing this for pay and may be out of your league (McAfee firewall
is a kludge, as you are learning).  So you might be best served by
posting to CLUE Jobs and asking for someone to consult on this.  You
seem a little beyond the scope of community support for free software.

If you want help figuring out how to do that please contact me off list.