[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

David L. Willson dlwillson at thegeek.nu
Sat Oct 25 13:40:45 MDT 2003

And from me, back to using Windows more than Linux, onaccounta the new job:
- I miss Evolution, that didn't load images into email messages until I told
it to.  Pornographic spam really loses it's teeth without the pictures.
- I miss being able to SSH anytime, without having to download and install
PuTTY first.
- I miss having a real command prompt.  I miss being able to identify and
delete any file that exists on my system.
- I hate panicking when I realize that my AV software is a week out-of-date,
and someone just shared their love with me.  Conversely, I miss laughing
when I get a copy of a neutered Outlook virus, and I get to ~read~ it.
- I miss being able to bug out to a shell session and kill damn near ~any~
runaway job.
- I miss /etc.  I hates the Windows registry.  HATES IT!
- I miss being able to mount ~anything~.  I hates NTFS ~and~ FAT.  Hates
them, we do, eh Yoda?

K...  That's enough for right now.  The retarded command-prompt alone is
enough to drive me crackers.  I go onto a Linux box, I type 'dir', I get
something.  I go onto a Windows* box, I type 'ls', I get nothin' useful.
Why can't I mount my EXT2 partition from Windows*?  Why can't I do a
loop-back mount and create a filesystem within a file?  Is that really so
hard?  K, I'll stop now.  <pant, pant>