IMHO (long) RE: [CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Oct 26 14:27:40 MST 2003

Mike Miller wrote:
[...]
> So, from someone who has one arm up to his shoulder in Linux, and
> another up to his shoulder in Microsoft products, they both suck equally
> bad for different reasons. The easier to use will be the one you're most
> familiar with.

My position is that computers are hard.  No one wants to use Linux
because it isn't easy like Windows.  But people who can't handle Linux
can't handle network security, viruses, patches on Windows.  They can't
back up their data.  They can't fix the glitches that occur without
reformat/reinstall.  So their computers often cause them more trouble
than they are worth.  They complain a lot, but see no real alternative.
  Things seem to be getting better (XP is more plug n play than NT), but
I'm not sure the economics are there for really easy computing.  We'll see.

Since I'm contributing, I won't point out that this thread is pretty
much off topic ;-)