[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

Chuck Downing chuckdowning at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 27 10:01:50 MST 2003

Joe,

Thanks

On Friday 24 October 2003 02:09 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 13:37, Chuck Downing wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> > Now for the need for somebody to work up some enthusiasm.  In the last
> > couple of years, I have tried to migrate from Windows to Linux.  I
> > have had two distros of RedHat, Mandrake 8.1 and Libranet 2.8.  I have
> > even tried Cygwin, UWIN and msys/mingw.  My major problems are as
> > follows:
> >
> > 1.  While I realize that manufacturer cooperation is required, I have
> > been unable to get any of those distros to recognize a winmodem.
> > Several driver-makers make wild promises, but none of them work
> > because of dependancy issues.
>
> As you say... manufacturer cooperation required. Sorry to say, but you
> probably need to consider purchasing a different modem. The good news is
> that you can probably purchase a decent external serial modem fairly
> cheaply... in fact, there are probably CLUEbies that have unused
> external modems they'd be willing to part with.

I've already done this after losing about one fourth of my remaining hair
trying to make the winmodem work.

> > 2.  I would like to be able to have a "demand dial" approach to my
> > ISPs because the ISP which is a local call doesn't do Usenet and the
> > other charges by the hour.  Even though they claim to fit the bill,
> > Pan, NewsFleX and newsleader don't function as off-line readers.  Pan
> > stalls completely and then won't recognize that the computer is
> > connected to the ISP, while the others don't even compile because of
> > Libranet dependancies.  While I can get diald and wvdial to install
> > and run, their performance is so spotty that it is easier to remember
> > to manually dial an ISP before asking for downloads.
>
> Can you do this in Windows?

Yep.  Forte's Agent newsreader dials on demand and lets me "mark" random
messages in any newsgroup I'm subscribed to, then downloads them all at once
on demand.  If I setup the timing on the modem correctly, I can even close
the connection while its idle.

> I'm on a cable modem, so I'll let someone with more dial-up experience
> handle this...
>
> > 3.  Open Office 1.1.0 for Linux can't even recognize characters in a
> > file saved by Open Office 1.1.0 for Windows--all apostrophes and quote
> > marks show up on-screen as question marks.  Try to explain that to a
> > computer-phobic spouse.  In addition, the index to the OO help files
> > is so fouled up that I can't find instructions about changing to a
> > readable display font.  These problems are solved when printing a
> > document, but make OO 1.1.0 for Linux impossible to use.
>
> This is not an Open Office problem... it's a font/character set issue,
> if I'm not mistaken... you're probably using "smart" quotes for Windows,
> which are quite dumb... you'll see the same problem in Mozilla if you
> view some sites prepared with Microsoft tools.
>
> That said, I haven't run into the problem in OOo myself, using templates
> created in MS Word...
>
> > 5.  I have no idea whether the fault lies with Wine or with Libranet,
> > however, I can't get the out of the box Wine to work even with
> > notepad.exe from Windows XP.  This is a step backward because Wine
> > worked a little with RH 7.2.  Win4Lin worked really well with RH 8,
> > but the same install CD claims to be incompatible with Libranet 2.8.
>
> Unfortunately, Wine changes frequently... the Win4Lin problem is
> probably due to it using RPMs and Libranet is Debian-based, which uses
> Debian packages...

My point, exactly.

> If you're willing to shell out, you can buy CrossOver Office or try
> Xandros, a Debian-based distro that includes CrossOver Office and
> Plugin. Actually, I would recommend Xandros quite highly for anyone
> looking to switch from Windows to Linux.
>
> If not, there are plenty of great text editors for Linux. Is there any
> reason why you *need* to use Notepad.exe or other non-native apps?

Yep.  One of the old HOW-TOs used notepad.exe as a simple way to "prove" that
the Wine install really works.  It didn't in my case.

--
Chuck Downing
Leadville, Colorado