[CLUE-Tech] Using CSS to get an HTML table effect.

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Oct 28 17:41:21 MST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:24:18 -0800 (PST)
Keith Christian <keithchristian at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Jed,
>
> Briefly, CSS2 compliance is not achieved by most of the browsers out
> there.
>
> Use Google and search for css2 compliance.  If you have Mozilla, there
> are some verification pages under one of the menus (Tools?) that can
> test some of this out for you.
>
> It will probably be another year or so before there is a majority of
> browsers with good CSS2 performance.  For now, I would stick with
> On the other hand, if you're developing an intranet or other application
> where the browser is a known quantity, then develop to that spec.
>
> My 2 cents' worth.

I wasn't advocating using CSS2, specifically. It just happens that that's
the CSS spec that I downloaded to my local machine, so that's what I was
reading. I haven't checked specifically as to whether the example stuff I
was looking at is also in CSS1 or not. Basically, when I'm working on my
personal sites, if it renders well in Galeon, I'm OK with it, and if it
looks a little weird in MSIE, oh well.

I just haven't had any good reasons yet to go deeeeeeeeeeep into the nitty
gritty of CSS, and I've actually learned more from looking at other
people's stylesheets than reading the spec, although the spec is certainly
informative.

I really would like to know whether it's possible, and if so, how to do
it, regardless of whether it's good/bad/indifferent in this or that
situation. Maybe I won't end up using the technique. But I'd still like to
learn it.

jed