[CLUE-Tech] Using CSS to get an HTML table effect.

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Oct 28 23:52:26 MST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:21:54 -0700
"Paul Bille" <Paul at eBille.cudenver.edu> wrote:

> If I understand your objective is to have the sidebar color run the full
> length of the page on the left side, this code should work with Netscape
> 7.1.  I have a greenish bar running the full length of the page when I
> view this HTML code snippet using Netscape 7.1.
>
> The code DOES NOT WORK for IE 6.0.  IE shows the bar only extending the
> range of the text in the block.  That's a pain. Let me know what it
> looks like to you.
>
> In any case, I think you're using the wrong tool here.  If you want a
> sidebar, you should use frames.  Look at the CLUE Calendar for an
> example of a sidebar with frames.
> http://clue.denver.cu.us/calendar
>
> Paul

> <!--
> body	{
> 	width:850px;height:1100px;background-color:#808080;
> 	color:#ffffff;
> 	font:normal normal 10pt arial, helvetica;
> 	}
> ..sidebar{
> 	width:100px;
> 	background-color:#babfa0;
> 	color:#000000;
> 	height:inherit;
> 	float:left;
> 	margin-right:20px;
> 	}

OK, I spoke too soon. Sorta. Yeah, this works, but only when the body
style has an explicitly specified height. And, if the non-sidebar content
causes that page to be longer than the specified height, then that content
wraps around to the left below the sidebar.

Sigh. Looks like there's no hope but to go with a 2-column table.

Oh, BTW, even if I wanted to use frames, I can't, because what I'm doing
is customizing the wrapper code for pMachine, which doesn't employ frames.

Thanks anyway.
jed