[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

greg at knaddison.com greg at knaddison.com
Wed Oct 29 08:15:02 MST 2003

Quoting Chuck Downing <chuckdowning at earthlink.net>:
> Second, I can't imagine my 89-year-old uncle or my techno-phobic spouse being
> able to follow the convoluted steps necessary to resolve this unnecessary
> conflict between OO versions, Debian/Libranet/Java versions and
> Windoze/Linux.  All they would see is, "My computer doesn't work."   My
> original point, probably lost in the fog of frustration, was that my uncle
> and my spouse may be representative of the non-geeky public-at-large that
> Linux must satisfy if we hope to take over the world.

I don't want Linux to take over the world.  I just like to use it myself.

That said, when people have problems with MSOffice not converting between Office
XP and Office 97 (which is similar to what you are trying to do) what do they
do?  Call Microsoft support at $30 a pop to find out that they need to upgrade?
 Get on their local Office Users and Enthusiasts mailing list and look for
recommendations?  No...they cuss and scream and go down to the store and pay
$300 for the latest version of MS Office.

Is cussing, screaming and shelling out $300 a "non-geek friendly solution" more
than what you are experiencing with Linux?

Greg