[CLUE-Tech] Updating RH9

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Thu Oct 30 09:28:47 MST 2003

I guess this would depend on how you're getting your updates. If you're
manually going to a site and downloading them this wouldn't be a
problem. Of course I just cringe at grabbing and applying all of my
updates manually. If you're using the Red Hat Network with up2date I'm
pretty sure that there is a way to save downloaded updates, but I
haven't used that in so long I wouldn't know where to look for that. If
you go that route you must also remember that the one system you run
up2date on will only grab updates for packages that are installed on it.
If your other systems have a different set of packages they won't get
the updates. The other problem with that is you'll only be able to use
up2date on the one system and you'll still need to manually update the
other systems unless you want to write your own scripts to push or pull
the local updates.
Since I have a nice fat and free connection(at work at least) I just use
rsync to keep a full mirror of one of the download sites. I then use the
scripts found at freshrpms.net to create an apt repository out of the
mirror and I use apt4rpm to update each of my systems.