[CLUE-Tech] WAS: Netmask trivia question...

black at galaxy.silvren.com black at galaxy.silvren.com
Mon Sep 1 11:04:39 MDT 2003

I think what Perlman was referring to is that when IP was first conceived,
addresses were all classful. VLSM didn't exist, and you could assume a
netmask based on the host address.

Since VLSM, all that goes out the window and to support it you must have
contiguous ones in the netmask, since you can no longer assume the mask
length in classless addressing.

Interestingly that book was published in 1999, when a lot of people were
still cutting their teeth trying to move from classful to classless
addressing, and the IP address space shortage was all the rage.

If Perlman was referring to the time before VLSM, then I concede that you
are correct!