[CLUE-Tech] Getting GRUB to grab

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 16:52:17 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:40:15 -0600
"Gus S. Calabrese" <wft at frii.com> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I have recently installed the SUSE 8.2 distro
> and when it asked me where to put it. I directed
> it to the second (slave) drive on my computer.
>
> I then installed Red Hat 9.0 on my master
> drive.  When the installation asked about
> other installations, I told it about the SUSE
> 8.2 install.
>
> The net result was that GRUB boots Red
> Hat okay but if I ask it to boot the SUSE,
> (which appears in the GRUB start up menu)
> it fails.  I also note that if I direct the BIOS
> to boot off drive 2, it fails to do so.
>
> Since I really didn't have a solid game plan
> and I was taking a shot in the dark, I am
> not surprised with the results.
>
> What is the proper way to install SUSE on the
> second drive and properly inform GRUB of it's
> existence ?  Is there a good source for GRUB
> info ?

Questions in order:

1) What error message do you get when attempting to boot the SuSE
partition?  Are both the SuSE and the RedHat entries listed in the grub
menu when you attempt to boot?

2) What does your grub.conf look like?  Here is are sample stanzas for
booting a couple of my partitions.

title=g2-hdb1-2.6.0-test3-ip
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.0-test3-ip root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi
hdd=ide-scsi ro

title=g2-hda7-2.6.0-test2
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.0-test2 root=/dev/hda7 hdc=ide-scsi
hdd=ide-scsi ro

You will note that grub hd0=hda and hd1=hdb in linux terminology.  The
root (hdn,n) statement points to the location of the /boot partition
(which may be the / partition if you do not have a separate /boot
partition.).  In my case I have a single partition at hdb1 (grub hd1,0)
and another at hda7 (grub hd0,6).  The kernel line has wrapped (it is a
single line in grub.conf).

3) Another likely error is that grub is booting the kernel just fine,
but you haven't coded your /etc/fstab in the failing / (root)
partition with the correct information.

4) There should be not much different in installing any distro on
the master or slave drive.  Send us more info please. Describe exactly
what you see on the screen.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the