[CLUE-Tech] Mail server options

greg at knaddison.com greg at knaddison.com
Tue Sep 2 16:04:23 MDT 2003

Quoting Mike Gant <mike at gantsfort.com>:

> It was my impression that I could not have a static IP address with
> cable. Is this true? If I never have to reboot this wouldn't be a
> problem. (I just did kernel upgrade so reboots aren't completely
> unavoidable even with Linux.) If my IP address changes then it seems to
> me I have to change my configuration for my domain at register.com.

Not needing to reboot reduces the chance of a new IP, but doesn't guarantee it
(the DHCP lease can timeout and they can force you to a new IP).  However,
services like http://www.dyndns.org/ allow you to use a dynamic dns for a
specific IP address and consistently run a mail server/web server etc.

As someone else mentioned, you can also frequently pay for a static IP from the
provider.  Some cable providers limit your uses of the service in the contract
you sign (I think DSL is often the same if you read the fine print). However I
don't believe there are any sort of blocks that enforce these policies (e.g.
blocking http requests to port 80).

Greg