[CLUE-Tech] Loving kernel 2.6

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Wed Sep 3 18:02:10 MDT 2003

Just got 2.6.0-test4 up and going today.  I turned on all the "goodies".

I've got to say that I notice more of a difference going from 2.4.22 to
2.6 than I've seen in any other kernel since 2.0 to 2.2 series.  Some
really nice features I've discovered are the pre-emptible kernel and
integrated ALSA.  The box was already pretty quick (2.4GHz P4, 512 meg
RAM) but everything is faster now, from bootup speed to starting X
apps.  As I'm writing this, I'm compiling a rather large app, listening
to a streaming shoutcast station with XMMS and there is no noticable
impact on typing speed or the music stream.  That's definitely an
improvement for me.

Just had to share with you guys and encourage everyone to compile 2.6!

-Dan Harris