[CLUE-Tech] time server

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Sep 10 11:24:26 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 12:11, Casagrande, Steve wrote:
> > Can someone tell me how to point a my linux box at a time server for the
> > system date/time?
>
> Check out www.ntp.org.  You can get the time from a public server if you're
> on the internet, or perhaps set yourself up on a private net and sync off a
> trusted machine.
>
> Steve Casagrande

Steve's right -- ntp is incredibly useful.  And heres a sample ntp.conf
file with the actual IP addresses hidden.

hth,
Ed

=== BEGIN ===

restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay 0.008
authenticate yes
keys /etc/ntp/keys
restrict YYY.YYY.0.36 nomodify notrap noquery
server YYY.YYY.0.36
restrict XXX.XXX.10.179 nomodify notrap noquery
server XXX.XXX.10.179
restrict XXX.XXX.10.7 nomodify notrap noquery
server XXX.XXX.10.7
restrict YYY.YYY.0.18 nomodify notrap noquery
server YYY.YYY.0.18
restrict ZZZ.ZZZ.0.2 nomodify notrap noquery
server ZZZ.ZZZ.0.2

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com