[CLUE-Tech] booting CD based Linux from old machine

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Sat Sep 20 23:54:52 MDT 2003

Michael Riversong wrote:
> There's an obscure distribution called Lyconis, and another called
> Redmond, which can be installed from within Windows.  I've noticed the
> Redmond comes up well on an autorun on a 166 mHz Gateway from 1997 --
> i'd love to install it but don't have a big enough hard drive on that
> particular machine.
>
> On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 03:08 PM, WFT wrote:
>
>> Hello TUX
>>
>> I have an older machine that does
>> not have a BIOS that supports booting
>> from a Knoppix CD.
>>
>> Is there a floppy image that will auto-run
>> and allow booting from a CD ?
>>
>> Gus

other non cd options for older machines include zipslack, which is a
smallish version of slackware (minus X of course) that fits within 100mb
  (zip disk size) which works for many basic applications. it also runs
from a windows partition perfectly fine if you want to dualboot. x can
be installed later, though.

the other option would be gentoo, which i haven't personally played with
yet but is an install from scratch linux distro that compiles everything
native to the machine it's on. the advantages are that it'd be faster
than any generic kernels, and that since it's all from scratch you
decide what goes on and don't have hundreds of megs of things you dont
want. the major drawback on an older machine is that compiling larger
things will take forever, such that again, things like X may not be a
viable option.

just my $.02US :)

-Evan