[CLUE-Tech] A real MTA

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Sun Sep 21 12:48:32 MDT 2003

> * Sean LeBlanc (seanleblanc at americanisp.net) wrote:
> > Getting sick and tired of seeing all these incoming virus mails that
> > SpamAssassin is not catching, I decided I'd install mailscanner. The problem
> > is that I'm not using a "real" MTA right now. I just use fetchmail and
> > ssmtp.
> >

> grep MICROS .spamassassin/user_prefs
> score MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE 100.0
>
> they don't get past spamassassin here!

Yes, but does that test actually work??  I use SA on my Red Hat 9 boxes
right now, and it's wonderful.  I then purchased SpamKiller from Network
Associates, which is supposed to be SA for exchange, with Network
Associates loving touch and a crappy gui control panel.  I was getting a
lot of those spam virus messages through my exchange server, and I upped
the score of that test, and it did nothing.  So, maybe it should specifiy
exactly which executables get blocked... I can't comment on how that test
works on linux because I haven't changed the value of the score yet since
I have that procmail script deleting those emails immediately.

--
				-Mike Staver
				 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com