[CLUE-Tech] Strange URLs in a ColdFusion Site

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Apr 1 20:53:17 MST 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> I figured there was some requisite server-side configuration to be done in
> order for this to work. I was thinking more along the lines of a
> mod_rewrite, though. Well, actually something that works sorta like
> mod_rewrite to munge things into something that can be dealt with on the
> server side.

TWiki parses the slashes out itself.  It would seem easier to use the
usual convention (which would be handled by perl's CGI module I'd think).
> I think it likely keeps working, as long as all URLs are absolute.

I don't think this is relevant.  All URLs sent to the server are
absolute.  The server doesn't have any idea what page you were on when
you clicked a link, and the browser doesn't have any idea what the CGI
code looks like.

[...]
> I have to wonder, too, at the motivation for messing with the well-known
> standard way of structuring URLs. Maybe somebody thinks that makes it
> harder on CGI hacks? Surely that can't be it, as such is just easily
> munged for cracking.

I didn't see any reference to why they did it this way, though the URLs
are more readable to me.