[CLUE-Tech] exim and /etc/aliases

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Apr 5 20:01:06 MDT 2004

Brandon N wrote:
> Does anyone know of any good documentation on exim's use of
> /etc/aliases.  I have been trying to do a couple of things, and I can't
> seem to get it to work.  Maybe I'm using the wrong file altogether, any
> suggestions would be appriciated.

You didn't say which version of exim, but the exim docs are very
thorough.  And look at your config file.  Aliases are handled by the
system_aliases router (in exim 4).

> I'm trying to set up an alias that points to to users, ie:
>
> bills: brandon  christina

As Eric said, this list has to be comma (or new-line) separated.  See:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_22.html#SECT22.4

and the docs on lsearch.

> and I'm trying to point an entire domain to one user:
>
> *@denvertaoist.net: brandon

There are probably several ways to do this.  For example, add a redirect
router to the config like (untested):

my_domain:
   driver = redirect
   allow_fail
   allow_defer
   domains = denvertaoist.net
   data = brandon

You might also just change the lsearch part of your aliases router to
wildlsearch which will allow wildcards.  See:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_9.html#SECT9.2

HTH,