[CLUE-Tech] Wireless problem

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Apr 6 19:40:01 MDT 2004

On Tue 6 April 2004 15:54, Tony M. wrote:
> dude, please use your wep.  trust me, wifi signals
> travel farther then you'd think.  download kwifi or
> some other signal strenght program to make sure the
> kernal turned the card on correctly.  what kind of
> card did you buy.  an actual airport card?  if so see
> sourceforge.com for their drivers/faq's.

Sure, WiFi can travel farther than expected.  But WEP is also trivially easy
to crack.  The best approach is to make sure you encrypt stuff on top of your
wireless network, whenever possible.  And WEP incurrs a serious performance
hit, so it is not a no-brainer to implement it.

(If you have access to it, you could try WPA, which rotates out the Keys, I
think).

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...