[CLUE-Tech] NAT blocks P2P?

Warren warren at guano.org
Wed Apr 7 14:07:49 MDT 2004

"Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

 > John Walker claims that increases in the use of NATted addressing by
 > high-speed providers will eventually kill P2P connections on the
 > internet...Since I'm no NAT guru, I wonder if this is really true?

If you're behind a NAT device, Bit Torrent works like magic if you
forward port 6881 (up to 6889) to your BT client.  Frankly, I'm not
sure how it works at all if you don't.  The difference in download
speeds is like between a...well, a "torrent" and a trickle.

Knowing that most of BT's early adopters would be knowledgeable enough
to be behind a firewall, I'm surprised it was designed like this.  I am
and I'm sure most people are loathe to punch holes in their firewalls.

 --

 </W>