[CLUE-Tech] Capturing realaudio streams

Art Reisman astormchaser2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 20:50:17 MDT 2004

Hi group long time no post, sorry been busy...

Anyway I have had on my mind for quite a while doing a
project that would allow you to capture any music
stream and put it into a file of your choice. Basiclly
if you can play it on a sound card on your system you
can capture it..Here is how it can be done.

Create a virtual sound card.  All the client players
(and even the proprietary services Napster, Aol) have
to eventually communicate with a standard sound card.

The interface between applications and the way they
send information to a sound card for actual audio is
public (can't be encrypted here), so basically the
psuedo sound card would take the stream and write it
back to a standard file as an MP3 or something. So
would not matter if the source was Real Player or
Napster client or what. Since I am not a big fan of
the music industry I might just write this and put out
publicly .  I just need a little motivation, and get
my company to the next stage...

So is anybody doing this already in a public project?

So somebody dare me to do it :)

Art

http://freshmeat.net/projects/realcap/?branch_id=49042&release_id=156950