[CLUE-Tech] Port Forwarding / routing w/ cisco 678

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Wed Apr 14 13:10:24 MDT 2004

Unfortunately it will only work from the outside.

I may be going on a limb here, but I believe it has to do with how the
router defines the "inside" and "outside" areas of NAT.

For a packet to be translated it has to originate on the outside and
travel to the inside... in your case the packet is originating on the
inside and traveling to the outside, so the translation doesn't happen.

All Cisco devices I've seen behave this way. I have both a 678 and an
Actiontec at home, and they both do this so it doesn't appear to be Cisco
specific either.

Hope that clarifies!