[CLUE-Tech] Installing RH9 under VM3.1.1/1790

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Apr 19 20:50:37 MDT 2004

Joel Christner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sure this is probably something that's already been answered, but...
> I've been trying to install RH9 under VM3.1.1/build 1790 and can never get
> it to detect video adapter/monitor, thus GUI never starts....

You should check/ask at VMWare (you do mean VMWare Workstation is what
you're installing RH9 on, right?)  You'll get much better help from
them.  You also didn't say what host OS you're running.

Can you upgrade to version 4.5?  I used RH8 under version 3.x but
couldn't get RH9 or FC1 to install until I upgraded past version 4.

Used to be that VMWare recommended the text install for RH (you did read
the VMWare directions, right?)

> Any ideas/help?  Also, it seems when I start VMTools when booting the
> VM I lose my CDROM drive and obviously the install won't continue.

Seems to me that the VMWare tools get installed after you install the OS
so they wouldn't interfere with installation.  I could be wrong though.

How many lines of sig was that?  And thanks for the Cisco logo, I
wouldn't have realized who you worked for otherwise.