[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Apr 20 11:52:26 MDT 2004

> Fedora is working to make sure you can move from RH9 to FC1 to FC2.

Well that's really good news for me, if it's possible since I'm using RH9
for my computer at work, and I'd rather not spend time doing a fresh
install and then getting all my settings back up to date.  Is the upgrade
from RH9 to FC1 currently possible with good results?

> Based upon your other comments about the ease of picking packages under
> RH/FC - I would recommend you stick with Fedora.  They seem to be doing
> lots of work towards removing packages that provide duplicate
> functionality in favor of "best of breed" applications for each
> purpose.  LILO is gone.  pine is gone.  Of course, that doesn't mean you
> have to use the package they feel is best of breed...the fedura-users
> mailing list has plenty of info about adding in your own packages
> including fun stuff like window managers (which may help reduce the
> impact of their branding).

Well one thing I do like is apt for rpm at freshrpms.net... now if only
they had the number of packages that Debian offers on apt, this would be
perfect.

But I think for now, you have convinced me to stay with Fedora.

Angelo