[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Apr 21 23:23:21 MDT 2004

David Anselmi wrote:

> Chris Hirsch wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I'm really trying to figure out if Debian is really that much better
>> than the Red Hat/Fedora distros
>

> For me it comes down to one word: Freedom.
>
> I Oct I sat in on a meeting of admins at Department of Energy.  They
> were very upset that Red Hat (their distro of choice) had pulled the
> rug out from under them and was requiring license fees they could not
> afford.

This makes no sense.  RH Enterprise software has always cost money.
They cannot suddenly take a GPL licensed thing and make it non-GPL, and
they haven't.  I believe you can still get "GPL'ed" versions of this
software which contain all the GPL'ed software.  All they really did was
rename their regular "Red Hat" distro to "Fedora" and changed the
development philosophy.

I know a lot of people think that "suddenly Red Hat's operating system
isn't free anymore" but that's just not true.  If you release software
under the GPL you MUST offer the source code.  Red Hat has NOT broken
this license agreement.

Angelo