[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Apr 21 16:13:05 MDT 2004

> > the Sarge distro about a month ago and it was just kinda hard...granted
> Keep in mind that the sarge installer is still beta, I've used it twice
> successfully, but I don't think it is ready for prime time yet.

This kind of sums up the main idea behind why it's taken me until now to
even try Debian:  it's never been cutting edge.  Sarge features the all
brand-speanking new kernel 2.4! Wow!  Well, since 2.4 to me is a bare
minimum now, and I'm looking for a good system with kernel 2.6, AND
because Sarge isn't even out yet, I think Debian is just behind.  Another
annoying thing is that Sarge by default installs the i386 kernel instead
of the i686 kernel.  One of the other reasons I decided to try Debian is
because of 'discover' from Knoppix.  Does the Sarge installer actually use
this?  Why did it install the i386 kernel?  I had been wondering why on
earth it was so much slower than my previous RH installation until I
noticed this.  I never knew that the kernel architecture could make such a
difference (this was noticable in gnome).

Anyway, I guess I've decided not to do Debian.  It just lags too far
behind.  I did install the 2.6 kernel on Debian but it seemed flaky.

And it's just like you stated above "keep in mind that the sarge installer
is still beta" but it's not just the installer that's beta, it's sarge.
So I guess overall I'm disappointed.  Luckily they're not as slow as the
HURD group ;)

Angelo