[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Apr 22 21:11:05 MDT 2004

Collins wrote:

> I prefer Gentoo. The Social Contract is similar to Debian without the arrogance.

LOL that's rich.  How about this example from the opposite viewpoint:

"We at Gentoo know that compiling from source is better for you, even if
it's been proven time and again that only a very few applications really
make use of i686 kernel optimizations... and your machine really doesn't
get all that much faster than your I/O subsystem... but if you REALLY
want -- we did create a binary release system that's really messy
because the default settings for the updater will download all source
and rebuild it anyway even if you installed from binaries, because
that's the One True Way."

Some say that's arrogant too, in its own way.  ;-)

I say: Linux in general is arrogant, because it can be... and because we
all know that choice is good.  Lots and lots of choices leads to
confusion which then leads to people getting louder and louder about
their Linux distro religious beliefs.  ;-)

> Somebody mentioned that the Debian installer would be much better if there were only more volunteers.  There would be more volunteers if it were not for the stifling, stodgy
atmosphere. Gentoo attracts hundreds of volunteers from around the
world. So why didn't these volunteers gravitate towards Debian? Maybe
it's because they would be embarrassed to offer a two-generations-old
version of KDE and a kernel that is getting long in the tooth.

Nah... it's probably more to do with hype.  Gentoo has had it for a
while.  Debian used to have developers flocking to it in droves, next
Gentoo -- but another will come... and another... and another.  Plus
good results are not measured in how many developers are working on
something, but how good the code is that comes out!  (GRIN)

The main thing I hope I mentioned about the Debian installer (and the
part the always holds it back) is a design issue.  It has to work across
all the platforms Debian supports.  And there's a LOT of them.

Example: I still run Debian on a Sun Ultra 2 in the basement to test
things out, and if I use Debian on an i386 machine for "production" and
Debian on the Ultra for "testing", stuff is EXACTLY the same.

There's zero learning curve other than knowing that it uses "SILO" to
boot instead of LILO or GRUB, really.  EVERYTHING, including the
installer, works, acts, and smells the same.  That's pretty impressive.

(Well that, and because Solaris um... sucks.  I have to use it at work,
who wants to use it at home?!)

I don't know if Gentoo ever added anything other than i386 family, but
if they did, I doubt the installer looks the same/as pretty as their 386
installer.  Writing an installer that "does the right thing" across 16
(I think?) different hardware platforms is relatively difficult, I'd
imagine.  And it eats up an inordinate amount of the installation
software team's time.  Only people who want experience in that kind of
cross-platform application ever bother helping out.

> A final note: Debian is certainly not the only distro with adequate (even copious) docuentation.

I never said that.  I was talking about their standards which were
mature and how those were well-documented LONG before the other Linux
distros.

> I've been running the so called bleeding edge version of Gentoo for 6 months now (total time with Gentoo 3+ years), and I've actually encountered fewer problems than I did with the stable version. A big part of this is the install-from-source approach which eliminates the problem: your binary wasn't compiled with the same glibc, gcc, etc. that I'm running.

How often do you update your Gentoo?

I have a reasonably fast machine here (Athlon XP 2500+), and even with
the faster machine than the old P-III 450 I originally tried out Gentoo
on, I eventually got really tired of the never-ending download, compile,
fix whatever stupid thing the package maintainer forgot in some obscure
config file, wash-rinse-repeat cycle that never seemed to ever end with
Gentoo on the desktop machine.

Sure the eye-candy was pretty, but the CPU was maxed out all day long
for multiple days straight, and then you started over again whenever you
heard about some useful change someone had made -- oh, heck... I'll just
update everything again... or worse, something had a dependency that
would force a rebuild of half the machine.  Ughhhh.

And it just seemed to constantly get in the way of me ever getting
anything DONE on the box.

I tried it out and liked it, but I think I'd need to get a pair of
monster boxes that were twins and let one just sit there doing compile
duty all the time to keep up with Gentoo the way I wanted to manage it.

To be honest, I can't really find a Linux I really like much right now
for desktop use -- and I've tried a bunch lately.  Mandrake 9.2, 10.0,
Xandros, MEPIS, Fedora, Debian... they all have problems that make one
thing or another unusable.

I'm typing this on the evil dreaded Winderz running Mozilla Mail.

But if I were to purchase a new box right now, it'd be a Mac where OSX
gives a beautiful desktop environment and voila... there's a nice BSD
tcsh shell there waiting anytime I need it.  My iMac G3 450 is getting a
bit slow with all the OSX eye-candy, but it is so smooth and intuitive
and the Free Beer software Apple bundles in these days is second to
none.  And I can install Fink and have my "Debian-like" apt-get install
for the command line, too!  ;-)

On servers -- I do like Debian.  Massive upgrades come along slowly long
after all the weird bugs and tweaks have been figured out, and in the
meantime security.debian.org is dedicated to putting out patches VERY
fast for real security issues.

Not bleeding edge, but rock-solid, secure, and just sits in the basement
and runs... and runs... and runs...

Even though it's been moved from one physical disk to two others over
the years (for more disk space), and it's killed at least one hard disk
after years of spinning, the main "server" box here at home is basically
running on the same Debian installation (with two or three apt-get
dist-upgrade's in there, of course) that it was running on in 1995.
Config files either came along for the ride, or the package management
warned me things were going to break, and generally -- it's the
Energizer bunny of the "fleet" of computers here at the house.

Oh well, that's just me right now... grumpy and annoyed by anything that
doesn't "just work".

I'll get a wild hair going and decide it's time to run all the boxes on
whatever Linux-du-jour is the "next big thing" again sometime soon, I'm
sure!

Right now I'm in "stable, works, quiet, no forest fires" mode, since I'm
really busy at a new job and busy there...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com