[CLUE-Tech] another vi question

Mike lister-clue at gantsfort.com
Sat Apr 24 22:03:33 MDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 10:28:50AM -0600, David Anselmi wrote:
> David Willson wrote:
> >on the topic of vi, or maybe off it...
> >How do I do 'rectangular selections'?  Anywhere will do.  I thought you
> >could do it in a shell-session, but I'll be darned if I can figure out
> >how...
>
> Rather than asking (any of these questions) here, the tips at vim.org is
> the best place I've found to look for vim help (or perhaps the help
> itself, depending on the question).
>
> Rectangles aren't easy in vim but the tutorial link I gave earlier
> discusses them.

Maybe I misunderstood the original question but rectangular selection is
very easy in vim. 'Ctrl+v' in command mode sets the selection mode to
rectangular (actually, in the status line you will see "VISUAL BLOCK").

Additionally, the three visual selections modes from the command mode
are:

v       - character(s) select
Shift+v - line select
Ctrl+v  - rectangular select

Plus, you can switch from one to the other without going back to command
mode.

HTH,
Mike