[CLUE-Tech] page averager?

Greg Knaddison greg at knaddison.com
Wed Apr 28 07:31:35 MDT 2004

I think some time and options of the diffutils could do what you are
looking for.  Specifically the line formats section:

Based upon http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/manual/html_mono/diff.html

diff --old-line-format='' --new-line-format='' file1.txt file2.txt
 >commonfile1.txt

diff --old-line-format='' --new-line-format='' commonfile1.txt file3.txt
 >commonfile2.txt

diff --old-line-format='' --new-line-format='' commonfile2.txt file4.txt
 > commonfile3.txt

Doing this until you have compared every file to the "common file" will
give you the lowest common demoninator type of match that you are
looking for.  It's not as simple as drag/dropping all of them, but a
shell script could probably make it that simple.  This doesn't provide
the token you were talking about, but you can put it inside the
--old-line-format='[right here]' portion as you see fit.

Greg