[CLUE-Tech] Hack information

Eric Jorgensen jorgy at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 14:50:23 MDT 2004

--- "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason at blazenet.net> wrote:

> On Monday 02 August 2004 04:52 pm, Eric Jorgensen
> wrote:
[ ... ]

> > Because you are only using one kernel and the
> virtual memory space is
> > shared, it is much more efficient (though much
> more limited).
>
> Limited in what way?

With VMware, you get virtual "hardware".  You can add
a disk, you can add ethernet interfaces, you can even
plug in USB devices.  But with a vserver, you get a
running kernel, as much of the filesystem as you need
to run your service, and a separate IP, and that's
about it.

VMware also allows you to "checkpoint" a virtual
machine, so that you can return to a specific point,
say before you upgrade an app, or whatever.  But, with
vservers, you can easily clone a vserver, and in fact,
copy it to a completely different machine and it will
come right up.

> I guess what's workable depends on what services you
> want to run?

Of course.  :-)  I wasn't expecting to run Oracle on
my celeron 366.  But the apps run about as fast as
they would run anyway, just separately and more
securely.

It's handy for instances like "I'd like to try out
that tikiwiki thing, but I don't have a spare box
where I can crash and burn apache, php, and mysql."

Eric