[CLUE-Tech] Brute force attack from host 208.188.115.21

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 17:20:52 MDT 2004

--- Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> >Nope.  However, SSH access to my servers is regulated at my firewalls to SMALL, specific IP
> >ranges.  I see no value in allowing "the whole internet" access to my logon services (I open
> >strictly-controlled IP ranges for each client that I host for).  :)
> >

> I guess no one better travel then.

This should be a cliche by now, but:  "Security is the tradeoff for freedom."

Frankly, our clients are happy with their access restrictions and we are happy with our lock-down
security stance.  The "headache" of dealing with IP ranges for each client is not as bad as you
might think.  It really comes down to a fire-and-forget system.  Because we took this stance on
day 1, it has been trivial to "keep up" with it (adding and/or deleting clients and access is a
snap).  A monthly security audit is sufficient to catch the rest, and is usually painless.

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)