[CLUE-Tech] good hosting companies

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Aug 9 22:51:56 MDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:31:57PM -0600, Charles Oriez wrote:

> >I'm looking for suggestions on a good hosting company.  Right now we're
> >with Rackspace, but I think they're over priced.  Does anyone have any
> >good experience with another company?  Also, does anyone know how good
> >tools like Plesk and Ensim are?  I'm moving towards setting things up with
> >an interface that someone else could probably take over for me if needed.
>
> I have used pair.com in Pittsburgh with good results. And they are a linux
> shop.

Well, FreeBSD, I think. But that should be close enough, no?

I had my Web site with Pair for 4 years. My quick'n'dirty review:

 * Bandwidth and uptime: awesome!
   In the 4 years I used their services, as far as I know there was
   *zero* unscheduled downtime. And there was scheduled downtime exactly
   once, when they were physically moving their data center. Access to
   my site was always fast, except when there was a problem at my end.

 * Customer service: normal (AKA lousy)
   They have only e-mail support, and I found more than once that they
   were slow to answer my mail, and sometimes didn't really answer the
   question. Then again, I had the very cheapest type of account. Maybe
   you get better service if you're paying more.

So if you're very self-sufficient and don't need a lot of support, Pair
is probably a good choice.

BTW, I moved my Web site elsewhere not due to any particular
dissatisfaction, but just because I wanted a different package of
services.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.