[CLUE-Tech] Recent Gentoo install experiences?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Aug 10 14:04:58 MDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 12:06, Matthew Porter wrote:

*snip*

> Anyone have experience with any undocumented "gotchas" that a new
> Gentoo installer should look out for?

Not really. I did a write-up of 2004.2 for LWN last week, and I was
actually quite impressed. It isn't an installer, as such, but it is a
well-documented process. I'm really quite impressed with the volume and
quality of docs available for Gentoo users -- that project is doing a
great job in that area.

The only caveat I see is that you'll definitely want to follow along
with the full install manual -- the quick install manual kind of leaves
out one or two small details. (I forget which...) The nice thing about
the Gentoo install for me was that I could set up sshd after just a few
steps, and then continue an install on a machine from my normal
workstation -- since the install takes a while, this is a nice thing.

I can't see switching all my machines to Gentoo, but I probably will
leave it on my laptop and I'm planning on switching my UltraSPARC 10 to
Gentoo as well.

Nice to see Linux bringing families together. :-) Good luck with the
install -- if you hit a snag, there are quite a few Gentoo-er's on the
list, IIRC.

Zonker