[CLUE-Tech] Migrating from Outlook Express to Thunderbird

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Tue Aug 10 17:49:55 MDT 2004

I have a client that I'm trying to convince to finally ditch OE in favor
of T-bird.  But, I keep running into little snags that are deal breakers
for them.

Here's the latest scenario:

This is a contracting firm and they have a nice organized hierarchy of
dirs on a file server for each project that is shared amongst all the
project managers.  Currently, using OE, they drag all messages related
to that project into a file system folder.  Then, if that email needs to
be accessed later, they can double-click the .eml file and it will open
in OE and allow them to reply, etc.  The important part is that
apparently the attachment to the email gets saved with the file, so long
after they've deleted the email in OE, they can still double click the
archive and view the attachments.

In Thunderbird, I've found two obstacles:

#1  The only way to save an email message to the file system is to click
File/Save. They are willing to live with that.  But, once the email is
saved the attachments don't get automatically saved with the message.
So if you click File/Open Saved Message, there will be no attachment to
the message.  Having to save all the attachments manually adds more
steps to the procedure that they are not willing to tolerate.

#2 Once a file is saved to a local folder, double-clicking on the
message will open it with OE.  I was able to go into Tools/File Options
and change the File Type association to thunderbird.exe, thinking that
double-clicking on the message would open it in T-bird.  But alas, it
does not.  It does nothing when double-clicking on the .eml file.

I'm trying to slowly pry them out of MS's death grip but these
roadblocks are frustrating.  Has anyone had success making the above work?

Thanks

-Dan