[CLUE-Tech] Confict With MIDI Players

Vern B. Southern vbsouthern at access4less.net
Wed Aug 11 20:15:28 MDT 2004

Matt Gushee wrote:
>Well, if /dev/sequencer doesn't exist, that would be the first thing you
>need to fix. But given that Mandrake installs a MIDI player by default,
>I'd be very surprised if it didn't create /dev/sequencer.

>Shell commands don't start with '#'. That character at the start is a
>conventional way to indicate that you should be logged in as root -
>because usually, '#' is the final character of the shell prompt for
>root. Similarly, if I wrote

>  $ ls -l /dev/sequencer

>The '$' character indicates that you are logged in as a normal user. In
>either case, what you actually type is

>  ls -l /dev/sequencer

>followed, of course, by the return key.

>By the way, you should be able to do the above command as a normal user,
>but you need to be root to change the permissions:

>  # chmod 666 /dev/sequencer

>Does that make it any clearer?

Yes it does make it clear.  I did what you said the first time around I just
did not explain myself very well.

Konsole the Terminal Program that comes with Mandrake.  When I start Konsole I
am in /home/vbsouthern so I typed:

cd..
cd..

to get to the root directory.

When I type the command ls -l /dev/sequencer  this is the output from the
screen:

[vbsouthern at vern /]$ ls -l /dev/sequencer
ls: /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
[vbsouthern at vern /]$

Then I typed the command:

su

Then I entered my password for root.
I type the command ls -l /dev/sequencer and get the same output.

[root at vern /]# ls -l /dev/sequencer
ls: /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
[root at vern /]#

So apparently /dev/sequencer does not exist.  What next?

Thanks again.
--
Vern B. Southern
vbsouthern at access4less.net