[CLUE-Tech] precedence question - apache

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Aug 11 23:39:47 MDT 2004

>> [snip]
>> Second question:
>>
>> Digging through the doc on hosts deny, I can see that rather than
>> routing him to my 403 page I can execute any shell command I want
>> whenever I get a hit from that IPA.  My evil twin suggested
>> redirecting him to start the auto download of the 284M service pack 2
>> for XP so that he can download that 200 times a day (cogentco charges
>> for excess bandwidth usage).  That probably wouldn't be fair to
>> Microsoft though, so I won't.  However, what I really want is to come
>> up with a shell command that will have a tarpit effect on him, without
>> costing me any, or very many, machine cycles.  Ideas, anyone?
>>

> I *like* your evil twin and his ideas....
> My evil twin is tempted by your evil twin....

<puts goatee on> (I know, lame South Park reference...)

Well, my evil twin would like to see code that could pull off a redirect
like that... I mean, how can you be assured that the download would
actually occur on the client end? I sometimes have this problem sending
out things like pdfs, etc to clients from websites I've designed.  My
company doesn't get charged for bandwidth we use... so I wouldn't even
have to point a client at Microsoft's huge service pack, and I could
simply point them at something else very large on my network.  Not that
I like wasting my bandwidth, but still, it would be funny...

</takes goatee off>