[CLUE-Tech] AMD64 MB recommendations?

dperkins at techangle.com dperkins at techangle.com
Fri Aug 13 15:06:52 MDT 2004

I bought an MSI small-form factor motherboard for the Athlon64.  I haven't
had any problems with it.  There is a regular ATX version available too.

Asus apparently isn't interested in supporting Linux, according to some
recent posts I've read.

I don't have anything running in 64-bit mode yet.  We're trying to compile
Linux From Scratch in 64-bit mode, and I intentionally started with a
32-bit LFS, which means making a cross-compiler, etc.  It would be easier
to simply buy a 64-bit version of Suse or some other distro to act as my
host system, and I assume that you have a 64-bit version to load.

Be careful about which chip and motherboard you buy.  AMD uses more than
one socket for their Athlon chips.

There are two different cores available for the Athlon64.  Clawhammer is
older and slower, but you can get a 1MB cache with it.  I think the newer
core (Newcastle???) is better, even if the cache is only 512K.