[CLUE-Tech] Software Audit

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 07:04:50 MDT 2004

Hey folks,

I am a bit dissapointed with RedHat and its
derivatives.

I must be missing something with rh8 and rh9 into
fedora.
What I want to do is audit my installations and remove
unneaded software. When I go to the gui to add and
remove packages I am unsatisfied with the refinement.

In the old redhat you could do package addition and
removal pretty nitty gritty.

I just installed a basic server on one machine and
when I do rpm -qa and start looking through all the
packages I see all kinds of stuff that I don't need
... eg various lang support and associated graphics.

Plus for a server why do I need any GUI anyway ...

There are tons of GTK and other gui support libs...
sigh...

I want to strip this system clean of most "Desktop"
related stuff :) Just enough to let me strip the
system if you know what I mean :)

-Mike