[CLUE-Tech] Arch Linux: Thumbs Up!

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 11:26:19 MDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:08:13 -0600, Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> I didn't mean for this to turn into an anti-Debian rant. I don't hate
> Debian; it has served me well for 3 years. But, you know, I'm an
> experienced Linux user, and don't need much hand-holding. I want a
> simple system that *works the way I want it to.* That's why I started
> using Linux in the first place.

Here we are in <OT> land, but the reason I gave up on Debian was
similar to your experiences: it required too much effort to navigate.

Back on topic, I decided to download Arch, and here I am 20 hours
later at 85% <groan> This is slower than Knoppix!

How does Arch handle source package updates? Is there a standard way
to get packages that didn't originate as an Arch package recorded in
the package database.

Does Arch use the /usr hierarchy primarily, or does it load a lot of
crap in /usr/local (sorry for you solaris types who consider that
normal)?

--
 /\/\
(CR) Collins Richey