[CLUE-Tech] Installation problem

George Gammel ggammel1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 17:12:40 MDT 2004

Hello all,

I have an installation problem.  I have an older Dell Pentium 1 desktop.  It has a SCSI hard disk and cdrom(NEC).  On the 1st attempt, I was trying install Mandrake 8.2.  All seemed to go fine until attempting graphics config.  The machine uses ATI Mach64 chipset.  I tried several combos of video card/monitor selections.  All gave some kind of error.  It seemed to boot up OK to the command line.

Then. I tried to install Mandrake 10.0.  I got error messages indicating "No CDRom device."  Then I tried Mandrake 8.2 again.  Am now getting "Boot failed-replace disks error message".  I borrowed an IDE CDROM drive from another computer.  I had to fool around a bit to get it working in Windows, but was sucessful.  However I still get the same results as above with both Mandrake versions.  It won't begin the installation process at all.  I tried the Mandrake 8.2 cd & boot floppy on another computer,and got the same boot failed message.  So, one or both of these disks is damaged.

I could not get the CD to boot on any of these attempts.  I had to make a Linux boot floppy and use that.  If you select the install selection from Windows, you get a warning message that the computer will now reboot and start the install.  It hangs at that point, hence the need for the boot floppy approach.

I am wondering if I should try some other kind of distro.  If so, any opinions on which is a good choice for my situation would be appreciated.  If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.  Please bear in mind that I am a Linux newbie in any responses.  Thanks.

George Gammel
ggammel1 at yahoo.com