[CLUE-Tech] sshd question

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 06:53:41 MST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:41:45 -0700, Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:
> 5.  Confirmed that my noipd was running and no one has hijacked my host [which
> happened before once].
>
> 5.  Changed my [hardware] firewall to forward a different external port 5555
> to port 22 on the Linux box.  I was thinking that comcast maybe started
> blocking port 22.  This worked and I was able to connect using $ ssh -p 5555
> host.example.com
>
> 6.  For fun, I changed the firewall configuration back to the original setting
> - - external port 22 maps to linux box, port 22.  Then I was able to get in.  I
> tried again several more times and all is well with external port 22.

I think that the the mapping of port 22 to port 22 was broekn.  In
your second step 5 you probably fixed whatever was misconfigured, and
then when you switched it back it still worked.  Have you changed any
other settings on your firewall recently?  Maybe did a firmware
upgrade?  I've lost various settings in those processes that I didn't
think I changed, but somehow they did change...

Anything upstream would be more likely to still be broken, right?

Greg