[clue-tech] Problems with hotplug and kernel 2.6 ? [Debian]

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sun Dec 12 23:31:44 MST 2004

Yesterday I restarted my machine for the first time after a couple weeks
of upgrades, and kernel 2.6 wouldn't boot.  There was some sort of error
mentioning kblockd/0, threadinfo=, and task= as well as a bunch of other
address/data.  I can't find any log files which contain this data (fgrep
-r /var/log).  I could still boot into 2.4 fine which is what I'm using
now.  It took me forever to figure out what was causing this problem,
and I've done everything I could except for recompiling the kernel
(which I don't think should be necessary).  It seems that when I install
usbmgr and uninstall hotplug, 2.6 boots up fine, but then I lose all
control over my PS2 mouse.  I have a SCSI USB card (Adaptec AIC-7895) in
which I've plugged a Sony DVD burner.  I was using 2.6 before, and the
extern DVD drive was working fine.  Now that I'm using 2.4 it won't
detect it as a cdrom drive, but cdrecord seems to be able to see it with
-scanbus so I think I can still use it as a burner.

Also I don't know if this is normal or not--it may be a separate
issue--but gpm seems to disable my mouse as well (not even detectable by
mdetect).

I know hotplug is still version 0.0 but does anyone have any experience
with this kind of problem, or any idea what I should do, I'd appreciate
it.  I don't mind using usbmgr but for some reason my mouse will not
work without hotplug.

Angelo