[clue-tech] Is this list still undergoing work?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Dec 21 16:35:23 MST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:55:49 -0700
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I've noticed that since the list sort of went down or had problems, the
> online archives don't seem to be working right, and hitting reply with
> my email client now replies to the sender instead of the list.
>
> What happened?

There were indeed some problems with moving the mail archives over to the
new server. No ETA on fixing that yet.

The default in Mailman is to *not* mung headers so that replies will go by
default to the list. It can do this by adding a 'Reply-To:' header. Now
looking at the raw e-mail, I don't see such a header. And sylpheed still
generated a list 'To:' header on reply. Interesting.

I also note that some mailers are generating a Reply-To header. Don't know
if this is a preference people can set/turn off. For example gmail and
excite.

I suppose we could have a flame war now over
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html -- "Reply-To Munging
Considered Harmful". I always figured the whole point of having a list,
for most of them, is that traffic goes on the list for everyone to benefit
from.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/