[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Dec 23 09:19:13 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 00:32, Jeff Cann wrote:
> Let me ask you a follow up question.  In gimp 2.0, when I create a new
> drawing, I can create one from a template.  In this case, I choose the 8 1/2
> x 11 (300 dpi).  The gimp creates a canvas that is 2550 x 3300 pixels.  This
> seems to match your calculation.  Do you use the template feature?

Personally, no, but that's because I do most of my work at custom sizes
and I'm used to doing the calculations myself. Even so, the reason the
template feature was added was to address the problem of creating
properly sized documents.

So it's definitely something that can help you with this particular
issue.

> Finally, [since I had to look this up], a quick way to determine DPI is:
>
>  $ xdpyinfo | grep resolution
>   resolution:    91x91 dots per inch
>
> So, it looks like I'm at 91 DPI.

Yes, that's the resolution of your monitor.  Probably an LCD monitor?  I
think most CRT's are at or around 72-75 DPI, though I could be way off
on that.  In any case, 91 DPI is not sufficient for quality prints in
most cases.  I do all my artwork for Linux Format magazine (and probably
Tux too though I don't think they've specified the requirements yet) at
250 DPI.  That works out well since a typical screen shot of a GIMP
window gets down to about 1.5" to 2" on a page, which is good sized for
an article.

--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse             Why do we say something is out of whack?