[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Dec 23 11:33:46 MST 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Matt Gushee wrote:
>
>>Furthermore, you can usually import raster graphics into vector, but not
>>vice versa.
>
> That seems counterintuitive. No doubt because of ignorance on my part. But
> rasterizing a vector image is something that happens all the time. But
> doing the opposite seems fraught with difficulties of edge-detection --
> particularly when anti-aliasing is involved, and probably other things as
> well.

You're right. Maybe I didn't explain very well. What I meant was that
you can place a raster image unmodified within a vector image, whereas
if you want to import a vector image into raster, you have to convert it
to raster. So, it's not really a problem of being able to do an import
or not, in either direction. It's that when you import a vector graphic
into raster (with conversion), you lose data.

Also, as a practical matter, these days almost every program that
supports graphics of any kind supports the most common bitmap formats:
JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc. Whereas it's hard to find tools that handle, say,
EPS imports well. Last I checked EPS import didn't work in OpenOffice or
Inkscape; SVG import didn't work in OpenOffice; ImageMagick claims to be
able to convert to and from SVG, but I've never gotten it to work in
either direction.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA